Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Luna Las Vegas

Luna Las Vegas
This last weekend, one of my number one people in the world, Ms. Luna Marie, came to visit me and my new city. Like only a couple of visitors before her, this was Luna's first visit to Las Vegas. The difference, however, is the lady herself. She's unlike any other visitor I've ever had and, honestly, unlike anyone else I've ever known.Here's a little about the curly haired gal I call Luna: First of all her name is Laura, but I was introduced to her - back in our first year of our very hippie college - as Luna and it stuck. Also, her middle name isn't Marie, but I think it fits her. Luna is a teacher. A Buddhist. A boxer. She doesn't drink and she chants every day. To call Luna an athlete is one heck of an understatement. She speaks and studies Spanish and is in a long-term relationship with the country of Mexico (a place she has taken me at least four times). Has been by my side through almost every embarrassing episode of the last thirteen years. My mother would want me to tell you that after my dad died, Luna mowed my parents' very large lawn. That's just the kind of gal she is. Big head of curls. Big heart.The trip started out with a bang. Literally. My tire blew out. I can't think of anyone else that could make me laugh as hard as that lady while trying to figure out what to do about said tire. Then there were tacos, grocery shopping for healthy eats and checking into (where else?) the Golden Nugget for not one, but two nights. Next there was a dip in the hot tub followed very closely by napping. Then came a stroll down Fremont Street that seemed to thoroughly confuse my lady. "Wait, are we outside?" (*Still giggling about that one.) Met up with the mister in my life for tapas and story telling.I am quite convinced there is no better feeling in the world than to be laughing with the man you love and one of your bffs. The next day we went to a place I had been dying to go to, but hadn't yet gone - VALLEY OF FIRE. It was truly stunning. The colors were breathtaking and the red sand reminded me of Namibia. After we returned to the hotel after hours of playing in the desert, we had one of my very favorite dinners in Vegas. The amazing spinach salad and lobster bisque at The Grotto at The Golden Nugget. Then I drove Luna down Las Vegas Boulevard for the very first time. Her reaction? "I thought it would be tackier." Aint it the truth? We went to The Venetian where, once upon a time, I met a handsome boy who would change my life and make me move to this crazy town. We had chocolate mousse. We watched the gondolas. We laughed. Once back at our hotel, we hot tubbed and stayed up talking about our fellers. The next morning called for one of Luna's very favorite things in the world - a buffet breakfast. What can I say? The girl understands the art of the buffet like nobody else. Then she accompanied me to, wait for it...., the gym. Yeah, that's not a typo. Luna supported me while I joined "THE WORLD'S UGLIEST GYM" (more on this in a future post) and even helped me get used to the machines, etc. Then there was sushi and a trip to Mandalay Bay to see The Lion King. Before the show started, we had a little time to kill and a whole lotta sushi to burn off, so we walked around and shopped a little. As soon as we walked into Urban Outifitters - one of my very, very favorite stores, but one I had not been in since moving to Vegas - I said, "It feels like I'm home again." I even fell in love with a straw fedora. What do you think? {This is the part of the post where I should write about The Lion King, but I can't. I just loved it too, too much and will have to write a little something dedicated solely to it in the future.} So, to end my love note to Luna and our trip, I wanted to write down a few quotes from her visit. I'm not sure they will be funny to anyone other than us, but - hey - it's my blog. :) - "Your tire looks abnormally flat." - "I don't want to hear you say the word 'rims' one more time on this trip." - "Shortest man in Vegas!" - "I can't see a thing over the glare of the check engine symbol." - "I am losing my mind. ARE WE OUTSIDE?" - "Poor Gisele." (Um, yeah, the supermodel.) - "Wait, honestly, are we outside?!? I can see the sky." - "That's a fake sky, lady." - "What the hell time it is?" - "I don't know what language they're speaking, but it is the language of joy." To my dear Luna Marie, thank you so much for coming to visit me and for HELPING ME REMEMBER WHAT IS TRULY IMPORTANT. I love you.

Origin: pickup-and-love.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment