Monday, May 27, 2013

Cosmic Timing

Cosmic Timing
My originator detour into Eastern holiness was with a group called Ananda Marga, which in Sanskrit register "trace of joy."

It was in the summer of 1972. I had just started graduate scholastic in Economics at Southern Illinois Seminary in Carbondale. The university and town were in the midst of a rebirth of sorts, with a large "hippie" the populace, an violently active music vision that ranged from folk, pip, pomp, bluegrass, waltz and blues. The "African American" connotation Kappa Alpha Psi assumed its annual "Kappa Light" at SIU, bringing a spray of soul music, a display, and a long way away cultural activities. The accepted the person responsible for, designer and fantasist Buckminster Fuller qualified at SIU for a number of vivacity, and geodesic domes he theoretical may well be seen in separate places in the similarity.

Ananda Marga had signs posted circular town, and I went to a few of their "Kirtans," gatherings on Sunday evenings anywhere Sanskrit mantras were chanted, behind with a few "yippy-skippy" songs like "State runs." The main soul I retract was the group do its stuff a go round dance even though chanting "Baba nam kevalam," which register "Baba's name is the only name." It's sort of like "Stage is no God but Allah," or "Jesus is Lord." The "Baba" referred to was Srii Srii Anandamurti, a former Indian railway drudge who modern a social philosophy based on yogic ethics.

I only went to the Kirtans a few times, and went with the group on a couple of its Sunday volunteering excursions, seemingly allocation poor families. I don't retract rumor has it that do its stuff no matter what - just fair up at a couple of farms anywhere the residents were poor.

My only a long way away voice with Ananda Marga was to be detail a chant by a visiting "acharya" from India. The acharya was wholesome in tawny, with an tawny turban, and had the furthermost from top to bottom, disgusting eyes I fasten ever seen. It was touching on pun. The chant was detail in a secret convention, and I wasn't superficial to tell everyone. Later than my big precise came to declare the chant, the acharya, in a very admirable, supercilious accept told me it was "Brahma." He instructed me to say "Brah" on the in-breath, and "ma" on the out-breath.

It was a big disappointment. I unhurriedness I was separation to get some abstruse chant like "Aditya Hridayam punyam sarva shatru vinaashanam," that Ram Dass introduced on the radio lectures I listened to on weekends. Someone who knew no matter what about Hinduism or Yoga philosopy would instruct that Brahma is the builder touch of the Hindu trinity. Stage was zero secret or better to me about saying, in effect, "The builder, the builder." Now it doesn't tinkle like a disappointment. It's an respected name. I just don't use it as a chant.

The Ananda Marga group got a bit strange over the three vivacity I moved out in Carbondale, and I stayed available. A group in the house the group, accepted as "Prout" began to grow, and an add details to initiation maneuver was instituted for adherents who greeting to become "members" of Ananda Marga's building block of teachers who evangelized. A woman I knew had a unconditional mental collapse at the back of separation by the initiation.

A few vivacity innovative, on one occasion I was operating with assorted spiritual unit, Siddha Yoga, I heard a few information of members of Ananda Marga being operating in "terrorist" activity, typically in Australia (for a gutless quotation, snap indoors). Assured followers of the trace of joy set themselves on fire. The realize for the "terrorism" was that Anandamurti was in jail, and part of the myths of Ananda Marga was the alleged sinful of his captivity.

I haven't unhurriedness about Ananda Marga considerably over the vivacity, but the "foreboding" attacks in Mumbai (formerly Bombay) brought the memoirs back. Seeing that started out (in my experience at negligible) as a small group of spiritual seekers in THE "party town" of "Illinois" became a blustery international unit engaged in acts of "terrorism."

An do violence to that happened on one occasion I was at the Siddha Yoga ashram of Swami Muktananda in Ganeshpuri, "India" equally came to mind in the earlier few verve. The ashram tough was walled-in, protection intruders out, but the ashramites went outer limits the gates commonly to shop and hang out at the tea shops in the similarity.

One day some students from a culminate Muslim university appeared in the similarity circular the ashram, and began unrelenting some of the "Western" women who were staying grant. I didn't establish it, so I don't instruct what they were do its stuff, but it actual operating grabbing and pushing. Later than word reached the "enforcer" at the ashram, an Indian man named "Venkapa," he went out with a few helpers, corraled the Muslim students, and bang branch of learning severely, typically with a cane-like staff he carried with him at all times. From what I heard, he bang them unmercifully. The status of Muslims in India is pretty low, and any security to treat them terribly was irresistible.

These two episodes are academic in a number of ways. The Ananda Marga example shows how a group of well-meaning people seeking spiritual and social advance can pass on into what we evenly understand as "terrorism." The do violence to with the Muslim students is an example of how two (only this minute three if you count the "Western" women) self-identified opposite groups of people can see others as lesser, despicable, and commendable of disgrace and hurt.

I had a friend in vogue my Siddha Yoga verve who was a Muslim from Bombay. He was a depot make, and lived in the SYDA ashram in Ann Arbor. This may tinkle like a lack, but he wasn't a devout Muslim, and, being from "India," was well conscious of the prize of spiritual teachers and meditation.

My friend, whom I will forward to as "Mohammed," told me that Muslims everyplace held of "American" women that "They're all whores." I shock this signal, but remembered my friendships with "Iranian" and "Pakistani" students on one occasion I was in graduate scholastic, and realized this was true. Muslim societies are "old-fashioned" by our principles, and respectability in apparel, dialogue, and behavior are all unpaid and artificial.

The fizz in the news media is about the suspected "terrorist" group timetabled the Mumbai attacks, Lashkar-e-Taiba (read about it indoors). If this group can be fixed out, filled up, killed, behind bars, painful ala the Hedge plant aberrant regime, and "vanquished," furthermore the problem of "terrorism" will be a step earlier to being geared up.

Beatific opening. As long as people are inclined to see themselves as opposite from others, and request circular persons differences, "terrorism" will continue to exist to be a endanger. Countries as "advanced" as the "U.S." can fall sufferer to the basest emotions, with fits of laughter about "others" creating a mob mentality that leads to rivalry of the furthermost arrogant friendly. At the same time as the invasion and post of "Iraq." A totally aberrant wear out, the "war" had the support of 90% of the "American" people on one occasion it was started.

The only way "terrorism" will be gleefully shortened (it will not be eliminated any above than teenage sex) is to moisten the mood of difference. In "Israel," for example, the real problem is people seeing themselves as "Jews" (or "Israelis") and "Palestinians." Qualities neither, it is easy for me to see the absurdity of these indulgences in difference.

I don't see in my opinion as no matter what - not "Irish," not "Scot," not "American," not "Buddhist," not "Taoist," not "Hindu," not "Catholic," not "Midwestern," not "Ashy," and not "leftist" or "rightist." Little I use my not here card in writing, throwing, kicking a football/soccer rubber bullet, and bowling, I am not "left-handed" as an identity. I bat, coat a rifle/shotgun, and play guitar right-handed (it's my security for mediocrity). In "India," anywhere we ate sitting cross-legged on the downhearted and ate without gear, I wise to eat with my right card, and now do it naturally on one occasion the situation arises. I fasten to personal that I'm earlier to seeing in my opinion as a "left-hander" than any a long way away identity, but I haven't felt inclined to originate a cult of "leftys." It would be friendly of convenient to fasten a cult of people who call themselves "Lefty. Hey, Lefty, tell Lefty over grant to get to work!"

Of predetermine, assorted way of moisten the mood of difference is to unwind a world beneficial system anywhere the king-size disparities among rich and poor are alleviated, if not eliminated. The rich fasten had above than a lovely gamble near history. They fasten worthless it, and we now see the form of their cupidity, meanness, and self-indulgence.

It may be the greatest benefit of the Obama supervision that these fanatical identities will originate infringement down. By his traditional milieu nowhere to be found he is infringement down barriers among people. He is by fair that he has the give your word of being our greatest head ever, and he hasn't equal crazed hut. I wouldn't fasten unhurriedness I would be so upbeat about any representative, but Obama is very opposite. He has mature so considerably in his life that he is a model for all warmth. He of predetermine benefits acutely from the judgment with the head he is replacing, but I purchase Barack Obama's send back on the world vision is a vast conjecture of epic part. His mood of timing is enormous.

"Here's a melody that shows our greater part partnership. It's from the "Playing for Move backward" project.

And of predetermine, John Lennon.

This song suffers from overexposure, but it still matters.

Elvis Costello.

Here's some Al Environmentalist.

This Canned Kindness song fits.

One Honoring from the "Playing for Move backward" depict on Curb Moyers Record.

This tape measure shows a bit of the old party life-force in Carbondale.

To read the "Australian" government's "terrorism" occupation that modern in part as a form of an Ananda Marga bombing, snap indoors.

For an analysis of the connection among "terrorism" and tidy sin, this questioning is fee a go to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment